Project Lead The Way (PLTW) is a not-for-profit organization partnering with public schools, organizations in the private secctors, and higher education institutions to increase the number and quality of engineers, technologists, and biomedical professionals graduating from our educational system.
PLTW offers both a pre-engineering and biomedical sciences sequence of course work for high school students and a challenging, 10 week long, "activity oriented" engineering-technology program for middle school students. Students are introduced to the scope, rigor and discipline of engineering and engineering technology to really get a feeling of the rewards and benefits of being a part of such a powerful career.
PLTW courses utilize project and problem-based learning that teaches students how to apply what they are learning to real-life situations. These courses provide opportunities for students to:
- Understand the scientific process, engineering problem-solving and the application of technology;
- Understand how technological systems work with other systems;
- Use mathematics knowledge and skills in solving problems;
- Communicate effectively through reading, writing, listening and speaking; and
- Work effectively with others.